
During a Fox News interview on Tuesday, President Donald Trump claimed that he should be given an “A+” for the current economy after saying that “costs are all coming down now.”
A recent Gallup poll found that 55 percent of respondents felt their finances were worsening, a level of pessimism exceeding that seen during both the COVID-19 pandemic and the 2008 financial crisis. This comes as the war in Iran continues, sending gas prices higher. Americans have spent an additional $59 billion on fuel since Trump launched the war.
Trump, however, painted a much more positive picture of the economy.
He said:
“We had the best numbers that anybody’s ever seen, but now you take a look, with that going on … I think Day 79 we hit an all-time stock market high. 401Ks are the highest they’ve ever been by double and triple.”
He continued:
“And then I read that we’re doing bad in the economy. By the way, job numbers: We have more people working in the United States than ever in history. We’re doing an unbelievable job.”
Trump also said:
“Costs are coming way down … I inherited very, very high costs, and they’re all coming down now. The food, the groceries, it’s all coming down. We’ve done a great job. You know, I think we should be given an A+ on the economy. I think that’s coming, people are starting to talk about it.”
The article says Trump’s claims were met with skepticism.
It notes that Trump had previously told Fox News that the U.S. economy was strong and described his economic performance as an “A-plus-plus-plus-plus-plus” grade.
The article also references the administration’s launch of 25 “Freedom Fuel” gas stations in the Philadelphia area, where gasoline was priced at $3.47 in reference to Trump being the 47th president. The initiative was presented as an effort to address concerns over rising gas prices following the start of the war in Iran.
The article concludes by arguing that Trump is likely to continue blaming former President Joe Biden for the economic situation, saying that he “inherited a mess.”
